We really like sweet pretzels coated with cinnamon sugar, they are soft on the inside with lots of sugar on the outside, yummy! I enjoy baking cakes, cupcakes and flapjacks, but until recently I’ve never baked with yeast or tried to make any type of bread.
As we love pretzels so much and they are a bit expensive at our local shop, I had to overcome my fear of baking with yeast and tried to make them for the very first time.
After a quick internet search, I found an easy recipe at Purple Foodie, which was later tried by another blogger and both pictures looked amazing, so I went to the supermarket and bought yeast and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) to try and reproduce the recipe. I’ve changed the topping, so here is the recipe I followed:
Sweet Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Recipe
Makes 7-8 pretzels
- 1 1/2 cup (350g) warm water
- 1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons (25g) brown sugar
- 4 cups (500g) regular flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg for glazing
For boiling pretzels:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons (25g) bicarbonate of soda
- Plate with cinnamon sugar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons water
1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water (from the tap). Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
2. Add flour and salt and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise for at least 60 minutes.
3. Shaping the dough: Divide the dough into 7-8 parts and then roll it out. Make sure to keep both the ends thinner than the rest of it since both the ends are going to be tied together and will become thicker eventually. Also, make sure that you roll them out thin, not more than ½ an inch in diameter, because they will swell up twice – once after the water bath and then when it’s baking.
4. Next, boil the water and add the bicarbonate of soda. Drop the pretzels in the water bath and let it stay in for about 5 seconds. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan assisted oven). After the pretzel is removed from the water bath, make sure to dry the excess liquid on a kitchen towel before placing on the baking sheet.
5. Place the pretzels on a baking sheet and brush with a lightly beaten egg. Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C/450°F oven for ten minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack.
6. Make a light sugar syrup by adding the sugar and water to a saucepan over medium heat, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cook for a few minutes until the syrup starts to thicken.
7. Brush the pretzels with the sugar syrup on both sides and sprinkle the sugar cinnamon all over it.
We absolutely loved the cinnamon sugar pretzels, they were very tasty and the whole family enjoyed them. Most of them were eaten straight out of the oven, nothing like freshly baked pretzels, yummy!