I can’t believe it is Potato Week again, last year we made a delicious Fisherman’s Fish Pie, and this year we made another recipe with potato and fish.
Potato is versatile and perfect for family meals. It can be cooked in so many different ways, from chips and mash, to pies and fishcakes.
We are always looking for different ways of including more oily fish in our diet, so had delicious salmon fishcakes for dinner. The whole family enjoyed it and asked to have it again soon. If you are also trying to eat more fish, check out Fish is the Dish website.
If you prefer, you can make the fishcakes with a different type of fish, and you can serve them with mixed leave salads or a different accompaniment. It is totally up to you!
- 6 potatoes, we used Maris Piper
- 3 salmon fillets
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter, we used Gold from Flora
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow fry
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Coriander, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Peeled the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Place in a pan with boiling water, cook for around 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, grill for around 5 minutes, turning it around half way through.
- Mix the potato, onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, butter, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper, until the mixture is uniform. Add the salmon and lightly mix, so you can still see the big chunks.
- Shape into fishcakes. Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in plates. Dip the fishcakes in the flour, then dip in the egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Repeat until all the fishcakes have been done.
- Heat the oil, and shallow fry the cakes over medium heat, until golden, turning around half way through.
- To prepare the warm tomato balsamic salad, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, add them to a lightly oiled frying pan. Add the red onion, parsley and seasoning. Cook for a few minutes, then serve.
- Serve the fishcakes with warm tomato balsamic salad and lemon wedges.