I truly believe in the importance of enjoying a healthy and active lifestyle, incorporating plenty of fruit and vegetables in our diet. It does not have to be a chore, you can have your 5 a day by making simple swaps, such as adding fruit to your breakfast.
As breakfast is crucial before the daily activities begin, we encourage little man to eat his breakfast by making it fun and enjoyable. His favourite breakfast is pancakes and he loves Mickey Mouse, so we decided to make Mickey Mouse banana pancakes and decorate them with a selection of fresh fruit.
If your children are Mickey Mouse fans, they will love this pancake!
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- little butter for cooking
- Mix the self-raising flour, milk and egg in a large bowl until you have a smooth batter. Add the banana, vanilla extract and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Heat a non-sticking frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. Once melted, add a ladle of batter in the middle of the pan, then two smaller amounts at each side (for Mickey Mouse's ears).
- Once the top of the pancake begins to bubble, turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Decorate with fresh fruit (eg. banana and raisins for the eyes, blackberry for the nose and raspberry for the mouth) and serve.
Other ways of eating your five a day include: enjoying a glass of fruit juice instead of fizzy drinks, eating dried fruit, having fruit and vegetable sticks as snacks, and adding a portion of vegetables to your meals.
We tried to be creative at lunch time and give it a Disney twist by making Mickey Mouse’s Magic Rainbow Rice, which is tomato stuffed with rice, grated carrots, olives and sweetcorn, sprinkled with herbs. Little man certainly loved his lunch!
How do you inspire your family to be healthier and more active?
This post is part of Disney’s #HealthilyEverAfter campaign with BritMums, sponsored by Disney. Share your stories and be inspired at www.DisneyHealthyLiving.co.uk and live Heathily Ever After (#HealthilyEverAfter).