Little man and I love creating recipes together and having fun in the kitchen, especially tasty dishes using ice cream, so when Kelly’s of Cornwall ice cream contacted us regarding ‘creative kids in the kitchen’ campaign, we didn’t think twice before taking part.
We were asked to create a summer themed ice cream recipe, a really fun ice cream recipe with the family, so we decided to go for Ice Cream Bombe. Our version of the molded frozen dessert made with ice cream has chocolate and summer fruits, so it should count towards one of your five a day.
We’ve used individual bowls, but you can use a big bowl instead. If you prefer, you can add a different type of cake, or different fruit to your ice cream bombe. I’ve used the lovely Dr Oetker Fine Cook’s Milk Chocolate from our April Degustabox to cover the ice cream bombe.
- 500ml of Kelly’s of Cornwall vanilla ice cream
- 500g lightly fruited cake
- 100g of summer fruits (fresh or frozen)
- 100g milk chocolate (we used Dr Oetker Fine Cooks Chocolate)
- Line a bowl with cling film. Use a knife to slice the cake in thin slices (around an inch thick), and cover the bottom and sides of the bowl with cake, pushing it down to cover the bowl completely.
- Add ice cream half way up the bowl, spreading evenly and pushing down with a spoon.
- Add a layer of summer fruits, and finish off by adding the rest of the ice cream until you have reached the top of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, melt the milk chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Turn the bombe upside down, remove it gently and cover it in milk chocolate. Decorate with summer fruits and serve immediately.